Back to Blog
Disneyland is a cherished spiritual place for me, I have experienced so many open hearted moments at the three of the Magic Kingdoms (Disneyland Resort, Disneyworld, Disneyland Paris,) and look forward to visiting Tokyo Disney Resort, Hong Kong Disneyland, Shanghai Disney Resort. Visiting the parks with a relaxed attitude, frequent breathing and focusing on the good are keys to enjoying the parks amidst the crowds and branding. The spiritual is noticed by focusing on people, emotions and slowing down. Enjoying what is before me I step out of the mundane and into the magic that is the Disney cast members and high incidence of serendipity. I usually always dressed in Disney apparel when visiting the parks but now that game has been enhanced with Disney bounding. Disney bounding originator, Leslie Kay, explains DisneyBounding as "finding a line where Disney and fashion collide." disneybound.co My daughter introduced me to this and we’ve been enjoying coming up with our own ideas as well the creativity of other Disney bounders. Although I would like to boast that many moons ago, my stepson did have us dress up as the characters from Robin Hood before going out to dinner. Just sayin’.
How is Disneyland spiritual? Magic comes alive there, through the flora, people, and execution of creative ideas. Their commitment to excellence also brings a special and appreciated quality. The creative ideas of individuals moves from thought to reality. Like a good book, piece of art, or movie, time and effort is put into bringing forth imagination and creativity and we are brought into the magnificent result of the effort. Disneyland has the magic of collaboration, nothing is ever done by just one person, here people come together sharing their expertise of math, art, language and science to realize thoughts.
The primary purpose of most friends (formerly guests,) is to feel good and enjoy the day. We are sharing that energetic when we’re together, at the park. At a 60th anniversary “Disneyland Forever” show we were on Small World Way about halfway between “The Matterhorn” and “It’s a Small World.” We could easily see the projections on both. We were splendidly moved by the music, visuals, fireworks and narrative. Around us others were visibly moved, together we joyfully cried and sang along. We were united in love and song, reminding me of the spirit of New Year’s Eve. If God is in the details then it’s possible that I find divinity in Disneyland’s constant attention to cleanliness and friend satisfaction, they are consistent in listening to and giving the people what they want. The cast members’ level of service and kindness is extra-ordinary.
TIPS FOR A SPIRITUAL DISNEYLAND DAY
• Breathe often and deeply. Often we get so caught up in the fun and wanting to do everything we forget to breathe. Breathing often and deeply will help you relax and get more out of your day easily.
• Enjoy what is happening in front of you. If the kids run off, chase them, grab them pick them up and cuddle them. Laugh at their jokes. laugh at your partner’s jokes. Laugh at Goofy. Laugh at yourself and with others. This will relax you and reduce anger and frustration.
•Forgive yourself and everyone around you their foibles.
• Eat when you’re hungry, don’t worry about the right time to eat. There’s never one. Take the time to take care of yourself physically, apply sunscreen, stop and rest, run freely, dance and go to the bathroom whenever you want.
• Remember that you cannot do everything, have everyone choose a favorite ride, make sure everyone gets that one ride and call it complete, anything completed after that is a bonus. Leave whenever you want.
• Drink plenty of water, and minimize the alcohol and soda consumption. And try to eat the organic options whenever possible.
• Remember you are divinity incarnate. The day will unfold just as you need.
• Look for and heed the magical signs. Follow your heart as well as the map.
Services for Guests with Disabilities
The services provided for people with disabilities are extraordinary. In the past year I have needed assistance because of my back, knees, and hip. I visited town hall, to the left just after entering Disneyland, and spoke with a cast member about my situation. A cast member will have a lengthy conversation with each guest requesting special assistance to provide the best service for her or his needs. At each visit I was treated beautifully and with respect.
Nothing is all good or all bad, and my beloved Disney has problems too. They are a corporation with close working relationships with Nestlé and Monsanto, which is heartbreaking. www.thealternativedaily.com/disney-growing-serving-gmo-foods/
The good news is that money talks with corporations, it’s about profit for them. If we buy the healthy options they'll give us more of them. When visiting Disneyland consider not purchasing food products that are harmful to your health. Water in a bottle may sound good, but consider what are the bottling and ethical practices of the company. Fortunately there are organic options.
Menus for Disney Dining disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/
I take lots of snacks because I eat a lot throughout the day. I can't always get to the healthy food fast enough and need it with me. There are dairy, free, soy free options throughout the park which are a blessing.
love delight magic
Two Mountains as seen from